Discover historical Jewish Sights!

Who are we?
We show you more for less! Don't miss it out! Phone : +420 604 254 334
Fax: +420 224 816 628
Last updated on May 28, 2011 Main page

Terezin Ghetto - The WW2 Concetration Camp
Remember Spirits of innocent Jewish people!
Price range: Please see Detailed Price list!   Remember Spirit

The Jewish Cemetery  of Terezin
The Jewish Cemetery of Terezin

Terezin - The place of Holocaust

Terezin - town

The fortress of Terezin ( Theresienstadt ) was built under the Emperor Josef II in 1780-1790 . It was meant to protect access roads against the Prussian army during the Prussian-Austrian wars in the 18th century.
It has never fulfilled its duty but even after it lost the status of fortress , it remained a garrison town , with its Small Fortress serving since the early 19th century as a jail .

Both parts - the town called the Main Fortress as well as the Small Fortress became notoriously famous after the occupation of the Czech lands by the Nazi army .

What to see except of the town:

The Ghetto museum ( the former school that served during the war as a boy´s home ) - the exhibition about the 2nd World War , about Terezin , about the Children´s Drawings , the movies in the cinema ( about the History of Terezin , the Children´s drawings , the Propaganda Movie (the part that survived) made for the Red Cross delegates )

The Magdeburg barracks - a seat of the Council of Elders and the Jewish self-administration . Today it houses a meeting Centre and an attic theatre , and visitors can see both a replica of a dormitory of the time of the ghetto ( the survived people offered their private things that they kept from time of the war to exhibit them there ) and a permanent exhibition devoted to various spheres of cultural activities in the ghetto.

The Memorial by Ohre river - where the ashes of the perished prisoners ( about 22000) were thrown to the river at the Nazis order in 1944 to destroy the evidence about the incredibly high mortality in the town.

The Jewish Cemetery and the Crematorium - The Jewish Cemetery is situated on both sides of the Crematorium and there are buried in both the mass graves and single garves over 9000 victims that died during the first year of the existence of the Ghetto .
The Crematorium - built by the prisoners in 1942 , till the end of the war they burnt over 30000 corpses there.

The Small Fortress - It was built as a part of the fortification system . It was used from the beginning as a prison where apart from the soldiers , many people related to the nationalist-liberation struggles were jailed in the 19th century.
During the 2nd World War the existing jails were gradually filled as a consequence of the Nazi terror , the Small Fortress became the Prague Gestapo´s prison in 1940.
The first prisoners came in there on June 1940 and some 32000 inmates , including 5000 women went through the fortress throughout World War Two , mainly Czechs , but later also the citizens of the Soviet Union, Poles , Germans and Yugoslavs , and towards the end of the war also the soldiers of the British army, French hostages and the Jews from the Ghetto - Terezin town.
For most of them it was a way station to Nazi trials , jails, penitentiaries and concentration camps where about 8000 perished. In the Small Fortress about 2500 inmates died of torture , disease, bad jailing conditions , etc..
At the end of the war the epidemic of spotted typhoid fever spread in the overcrowded prison and the physicians and nurses from Prague and the neighbouring town started the treatment and the repatriation of former inmates , it lasted till August 1945 .
Between 1945 and 1948 it served as a detention camp for the Czech Germans expelled from Czechoslovakia .

The Transport of people
The Transport of people

The town Terezin was changed into a ghetto - concentration camp of Jews - in November 1941. In the beginning , the Jewish prisoners were put only in the barracks , but the original population was forced to move out of the town by mid-1942 and all he town became the prison for the Jewish people from our country , than so-called old-age ghetto for prisoners from Germany and other countries occupied by the Nazis .
The Nazi Army in Terezin
The Nazi Army in Terezin

It served three purposes simultaneously : a transit one , a decimating one as nearly one fifth of all the prisoners died there and a propagandistic one.
A false image of the "self-governed Jewish settlement area " which the Nazis tried to create by means of deceptive methods such as the so-called embellishing campaign , was supposed to provide a cover for abroad hiding the tragic fate of the inmates .

The Small Fortress
The Small Fortress

Over 140000 people from occupied countries were deported to Terezin till April 20, 1945 , in the last days of war , more than 13000 prisoners came there from aboliseh concentration camps in Poland and Germany , that were on the brink of total exhaustion and many arrived already dead . They brought the epidemic of typhoid fever . Out of the 87000 prisoners who left on the transports to the East , less than 4000 survived .

The Execution Place in the Small Fortress
The Execution Place in the Small Fortress

About 32000 inmates , including 5000 women went through the fortress during the war. For most of them, the Small Fortress was but a way station to Nazi trials , jails , penitentiaries and concentration camps where some 8000 perished . In the Small Fortress itslef some 2500 inmates died of bad jailing conditions, disease and torture by the guards .
The Look Out in the Small Fortress
The Look Out in the Small Fortress

The National Cemetery - the Jewish upper part of the cemetery - where are buried in the single graves 2386 victims and thousands of others in the mass graves.

The Cell in the Small Fortress
The Cell in the Small Fortress

The Cell in the Small Fortress
The Cell in the Small Fortress

The Map of the Terezin Town - Ghetto during the Second World War

Opening hours :
Oct 1 - April 30 9,00a.m - 5,30p.m.
May 1 - Sept 30 9,00a.m. - 6,00p.m.

The Small Fortress that became the Gestapo´s prison in 1940.
Opening hours :
Oct 1 - April 30 8,00a.m -4,30p.m.
May 1 - Sept 30 8,0a.m. - 6,00p.m.

The Bohusovice crematorium open from March 1 to November 30 from 10,00 a.m. to 5,00 p.m. except Saturdays
Closed on Dec 24 - 26 and Jan 1.

The tickets are paid extra by the clients , it costs about 5,50 USD per 1 person.

Pleae read more

All texts, images are copyright to Private Tours Prague.
Any reproduction and using of text and graphics without written permission is unlawful and criminal!
© 2001 Private Tours Prague ®

Last updated on May 28, 2011 Main page

This site is using The Advanced Updating System © designed by BraCan Co.Inc., Edmonton.